Education & Skills
Prioritising Education and Skills
- UKIP will introduce an option for students to take an Apprenticeship Qualification instead of four non-core GCSEs which can be continued at A-Level. Students can take up apprenticeships in jobs with certified professionals qualified to grade the progress of the student.
- Subject to academic performance UKIP will remove tuition fees for students taking approved degrees in science, medicine, technology, engineering, maths on the condition that they live, work and pay tax in the UK for five years after the completion of their degrees.
- UKIP will scrap the target of 50% of school leavers going to university.
- Students from the EU will pay the same student fee rates as International students.
- UKIP supports the principle of Free Schools that are open to the whole community and uphold British values.
- Existing schools will be allowed to apply to become grammar schools and select according to ability and aptitude. Selection ages will be flexible and determined by the school in consultation with the local authority.
- Schools will be investigated by OFSTED on the presentation of a petition to the Department for Education signed by 25% of parents or governors.